This gentle, well-researched, easy-to-learn, and cost-effective massage treatment has outstanding effects on the nervous system.
By reducing sensory problems, this therapy will also reduce the severity of the disability.
Qigong therapy helps children become calmer, which also has a direct impact on easing parenting stress. Results are apparent after as few as 30 days of treatment.
Various pressure techniques are applied to the head and body to either increase or decrease the excitability of nerves depending on the child's individual needs.
Qigong therapy normalises the sensory system.
When the nervous system is normalised, stress decreases; this positively impacts the body's other systems.
"Dr. Louisa Silva is the lead researcher for QST massage and founder of QSTI.
She hypothesized that if autism develops because of loss of touch, then restoring touch with QST massage should reduce autism.
In 15 studies in young children with autism, she showed that treatment with QST massage decreased the severity of all aspects of autism.
After five months of treatment:
After two years of treatment:
- Sensory problems improved by 38%; touch improved by 49%.
- Autistic behavior decreased by 32%.
- Social skills increased and children were more affectionate.
- Receptive language increased.
- Parenting stress decreased by 44%.
- There was 100% recovery of the sense of touch.
- The average decrease of autism severity was 44%.
- Over 50% of high-functioning children moved off the spectrum"
- 2016, Qigong Sensory Training Institute